Saturday, May 21, 2005

Seeing more by seeing less


Les Coquelicots à Argenteuil by Claude Monet

French impressionists used a technique to make their paintings look out of focus. When I was a little girl, I used to believe the paintings were blurry, because the artist didn't wear any glasses. The paintings do nevertheless contain lots of details if you study them, and this is what makes them fascinating to me.

Yesterday I had a rather surprising experience. As usual, I took off my glasses before going to sleep, but this time, I kept my eyes open to look at the impressionist paintings in my room. And what I discovered, were new details I have never seen before.

3 comments:

Risa said...

When I was a little girl, I didn't know the French impressionists...

Willow said...

You mean you were not dragged along on art exhibitions?

Anonymous said...

Sabes Willow que hace tres semana estuve en una muestra del famoso pintor frances Jean Monet...vi su famosa pintura que se llama "Ninfa" un verdadero impresionista.....olvide contarte sobre esto.....Goldfish,je,je,je
Ciao

tito