Monday, May 02, 2005

The pleasures of walking through the rain


Girl with umbrella

When I was a young girl, I loved to run outside on rainy days to jump into the largest pools of water I could find. It was a great kick to play with water, trying to make the biggest splash in the whole, wide world. I knew I would get the speech about getting my clothes all dirty afterwards, and maybe that was part of what made it so exciting. Some years later, the fascination had left me. I loathed getting wet. As an adult, I have rediscoverd the pleasures of walking through the rain. The air gets so fresh, the dust that keeps irritating my eyes disappears, the trees even look greener! I enjoy observing everything I pass. I see wet people in wet snickers, umbrellas with every pattern and every colour, wet dogs trying to shake the water off, numerous expressions of self pity, and occationally, dry people having dressed in adequate rain-gear for the occation. These people are smiling. I am smiling. Partly because I know that at home, Tito is waiting for me with a cup of hot chocolate and a "Hi Willow, I have been missing you".

1 comment:

Risa said...

Rain, rain, go away
Come again some other day
We want to go outside and play
Come again some other day