Thursday, July 28, 2005

A well of treasures



The key words are "picture books". Working at the local library I have had a fantastic opportunity getting to know picture books. I am truly amazed by everything there is, how much artwork is put into them and how wonderful the stories can be. At times I have lost sense of both time and place, being totally absorbed by the beauty and creativity I have discovered in those books. I loved reading about the man that painted zebra crossing all over town so that the old ladies shouldn't need to walk so far to cross the street. (Unfortunately he got in trouble with the traffic-police for doing so, but his idea was very noble.) Never have I seen anything sadder than a hedgehog only wishing to have a balloon, but due to his quills he would break them every time. The solution to this was found by the most inventive balloon-salesman, sticking corks to the hedgehogs quills. As from then, the hedgehog could happily run around without worrying about breaking his balloon. Another favourite of mine was the book about the gigantic turnip. I didn't even know what a turnip was before I read that one! My boss is absolutely right when she refers to picture books as a well of treasures.

No comments: