Monday, November 20, 2006

A book-lover horror story




Exams are getting closer, curricular books are to be read. Developing library and information center collections by Evans and Saponaro can be considered a nail-biting thriller for delicate souls. The following excerpt about finding the suitable person for deselection (and purging) in libraries made me shiver:

"The [collection development] teacher insisted that there was only one possible test to determine a person's suitability for becoming a collection development officer. Candidates would visit a doctor's office, where office staff would immediately take the candidate's blood pressure. The doctor would then hand the candidate a new book and tell the person to rip out one page and throw the book in the wastebasket. If the candidate's blood pressure rose above the initial reading, he or she would fail the test."
(Evans, p. 302.)

I feel a strong oncoming nausea every time I see someone bending the covers or the back of a book into any unnatural position, and if I see someone making a dog's ear, be sure I'm close to fainting!

Collection development officer suitability test result for Willow: Failed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've failed too; I don't think I'd want that job anyway. Or perhaps I could take the unwanted books home to look after.

Anonymous said...

That is an interesting test... Not so sure if I would fail or not. It depends on what book the doctor gave me I guess... I can think of a few books I wouldn't mind ripping apart ;o)