Thursday, June 01, 2006

Philosophy on a Thursday




I have a luxury problem, I believe. And that is that I have too much time until my next exam. It would be impossible to fill all of it by studying the same texts over and over again, so I have started reading a new book.

It's an introductory book about philosophy (who would have thought?) called
The Questions of Life : An Invitation to Philosophy
. It's written by the Spanish philosopher Fernando Savater. To be honest, it's the first philosophy-book I've ever opened and actually intended to read. The reason I have it in my custody is that I bought it for Tito. Being the wonderful man he is, he has allowed me to read it first, so this is what I have started on.

Chapter one is about death. Depressing? Well, not really. For instance it refers to Montaigne who said that we don't die because we are sick, we die because we are alive. The author has given me some new ideas and perspectives, even though I've only completed the first chapter. I like the way he writes, so I'll without a doubt finish it. My first book ever about philosophy. And not a day too early.

4 comments:

Risa said...

Montaigne also said "Que sais-je?" And he definately was a renaissance man ;o)

Anonymous said...

Ok mi Willow, ya no mas de decir que soy maravilloso...la vida es maravillosa!!!
Me alegra que te guste el libro y lo mas importante de todo es saber que en cualquier acto que el hombre realiza siempre esta la filosofia!!

Tito

Willow said...

Tito, si la vida es maravillosa y vos eres parte de ella, es decir que vos tambiƩn sos maravilloso!!!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Esta bien los dos somos maravillosos!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tito